Sailing the seas of online marketing and plundering the riches as an affiliate pirate.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

High CPU Load in cPanel Resource Usage Monitor

Today I randomly checked the Resource Usage tool in cPanel for two of my websites which use different hosting providers. To my surprise, both showed ridiculous CPU load (fluctuating from 70% to 100%) and high memory usage. What's more, this apparently has been happening for hours without any drop in load.

This was rather worrying seeing how my site usually has very low and memory usage and I rarely hits the CPU limit. Reaching the limits is bad because your webhost can decide to suspend your site or move you to a "troublemaker" server.

My 30 day resource usage graph looked like this:


You can clearly see the huge jump. What's more, the graph indicates that my host decided to actually increase the maximum CPU limit at the same time this started happening. All this, coupled with the fact that two of my sites, hosted on completely different servers, were having the same problem, seemed rather unlikely.

Sure enough, after googling for a few minutes, I discovered another user of completely different webhost service who had the same problem recently. I think we can safely assume that this is a bug in cPanel's resource monitor and not worry if your Resource Usage tool starts telling you're hitting the CPU cap all the time.

I haven't been able to find official notice of this anywhere though, so I'm keeping an eye out for any news.

1 comment:

amityweb said...

Where is this in Cpanel? I've been wanting graphs for ages, can't find anything, hosting companies are never useful (they just say run top or or something). Thanks!

Post a Comment